Friday, May 28, 2010

Welcome to Illinois

Made it to our third state. Whoever named this the prairie state never came this far south...more hills!
Not sure of the sequence on the photos, but there's one of a coal barge on the river.
We camped Thursday night at Cave in Rock. Pitched our tents in a picnic shelter because of heavy rain. This morning walked along the riverside cliffs to the cave where pirates used to hang out & ambush river travelers. Also a photo of the swallows that nest by the cave entrance.
Last, but not least, a photo of the current traveling posse...
Sharon & me, plus Dan from NC, and Klaas & Gosse from the Netherlands.

And a post script on fauna in KY I forgot yesterday- lots of reptile road kill (I hope turtles are not an endangered species).
and an amazing number of Indigo Buntings & Meadowlarks.

2 comments:

  1. Barb, Sharon, and Dan. I'm behind you by several days now. I had some problems with the bike, and they are persistent. Still trudging on though, even after a 3 day delay.

    Now I'm delayed at Sebree because everything seems to be full in front of me...Memorial Day Weekend. Sunday I'm taking a shortcut to Carbondale, which should put me there on Monday. The route I'm taking is straight west from here. Pasteur Bob, probably showed you that route. I have to get my bike fixed.

    The others are a day behind you, and will reach Carbondale tomorrow...Sunday. They are scheduled to take a day off.

    Terri is in Carbondale today, she got there yesterday, I'm not sure she will be taking a day off there or not. She has splintered from Jerry's group and is quite happy. She's a strong rider!

    I'll be watching you guys' progress, you are all doing great!!

    Dale Young
    gusrileyiii@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the photo of the large colony of swallows. Meadowlarks and Indigo Buntings, oh my! Not something I see here everyday.

    ReplyDelete